Foodies rejoice! Exciting new chef competition coming to Greenville!

By On Saturday, June 27 th, 2015 · no Comments · In ,

The Competition Dining Series is coming to Greenville this August. The series was started in Blowing Rock, NC in 2005 by Jimmy Crippen. Since then it has grown to include a number of major cities in North Carolina and this year they have invited Greenville, SC to join the action.

When asked why they chose Greenville over our sister cities of Columbia and Charleston, Jimmy said “Greenville just keeps coming up as the place to be”. He mentioned our beautiful downtown, the weather and our growing culinary culture.

Larkins Sawmill

Larkins Sawmill

The competition works like this. 14 chefs are invited to compete in a bracket competition beginning August 3rd and runs through September 7th. The competitions will be held weekly on Monday and Tuesday nights at Larkins Sawmill at 22 Graves Dr., Greenville, SC 29609. Tickets need to be ordered in advance and end up being $69.30 for the preliminary rounds after all the fees, etc. Prices will vary as the competition progresses.

Here’s where it gets fun. Diners get to vote in a blind taste test on the chefs’ preparations and make up 70% of the vote. The other 30% rests with food critics. Voting is done with a mobile app so results are instantaneous. At the end of the evening the winning chef is named.

At the end of the series there will be a Battle of the Champions held in Raleigh between the reigning chefs from each regional completion. Besides Greenville there are similar competitions occurring in Raleigh, Charlotte and Winston-Salem.

I’m not going to name all the chef’s in the Greenville series, just the Greenville chefs. (After all this is Love Greenville!). Some will be from Asheville and Charlotte.

  • Stellar – Jennifer Barone
  • Local Cue – Charlie Brown
  • 21 East – Samuel Murry
  • The Cliffs Keowee Vineyards – Francis Turck
  • The Cliffs – the Valley – Todd Warden
  • Henry’s Smokehouse – Bo Wilder
  • The Starving Artist Café – Anne Young
  • Passerelle Bistro – Teryi Youngblood
  • Professional Catering – Damion Norton
  • Adventures in Taste – Edward Wallace
The Chefs!

The Chefs!

This is meant to be a loud, fun, community event. I have no idea on how fast this will grow but it is so Greenville I had to let you know about it. We love our food and our chefs so take a look and let me know what you think.

Competition Dining Competition



About Mark

Mark is a transplant from Michigan and moved to Greenville because he loves it.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

I'll get back to you as soon as possible. All emails are kept confidential and we do not spam in any ways.

Thank you for contacting us :)

Enter a Name

Enter a valid Email

Message cannot be empty